Many people find gambling fun and harmless and learn how to control their urges. Yet, a small percentage of New Zealand gamblers find it difficult to cope with temptation and halt on time. And the detection of the condition is not always easy and straightforward. Gambling addiction is a serious mental condition. It preoccupies the mind of pathological gamblers. They find it hard to set limits and often chase losses to infinity. It can reduce the quality of life and harm or even ruin relationships.
Problem gambling can deteriorate any aspect of your health. And it has a domino effect. So, always pursue responsible gambling and stay alert and informed.Our job is always to keep you up-to-date and guide you on the path to responsible gambling. This article will elaborate on and provide insight into the following topics:
- the underlying reasons for gambling addiction in New Zealand;
- some common signs and symptoms of addicted NZ players;
- best tips to stay away from and prevent gambling addiction;
- the responsibilities of gambling companies and the protection of minors;
- several organizations that assist in overcoming addiction and managing debts.
Reasons for Gambling Addiction
The nature of gambling addiction is complex, with no unique reason that stimulates such behaviour. In short, there isn’t just one cause responsible for being hooked to gambling. Several factors are inter-related and lead to the formation of addictive habits. The worst scenario is related to the inability of some NZ players to control their online gambling behaviour.
- Biological causes. We are all different and inclined to activities that entertain and fascinate us. Our brain is in pursuit of happy hormones and seeks pleasurable activities to keep it stimulated and excited. Compulsive gambling is also related to genetics and personal traits. Thus, some risk factors can be inherited.
- Psychological causes. Psychological factors play a key role in the formation of the distorted reality gamblers perceive. The primary reasons include the belief that such activities reduce stress levels. Players hope to overcome boredom. The pleasurable feelings coming from winnings also influence this process. Hence, the coping skills of addicts are poor.
- Socio-cultural causes. It is in our nature to interact with people and feel welcomed and accepted. Since many NZ casino sites offer a pleasant social atmosphere, Kiwis feel understood in the community. Gambling levels can also increase if family members and close friends approve of regular gambling and practice it regularly.
- Spiritual causes. Some people believe in higher powers and omnipotent Gods, and that deters them from gambling activities. Others New Zealanders personal sets of values and are detached from religion. It is easier for people that neglect universal laws to dive deeper into gambling waters.
Common Signs and Symptoms of Gambling Addiction
There’s no straightforward set of trails that shows us who is gambling in addictive ways. The paramount step is first to acknowledge the signs and symptoms and then seek plausible solutions. This is not always easy and obvious. And the circle is difficult to break. Below are the most common signs that Kiwis are getting involved in gambling increasingly.Signs:
- Making money this way. What leads to real money gambling is the desperate need for instant cash. The idea that you’ll climb up the social ladder in no time is compelling. Plus, NZ gamblers believe this will settle all their problems, and they’ll break even. It’s easy, and you only need some luck.
- Keeping your activity as a secret. Addictive gamblers feel they must keep their hobby secretive. Only then has the activity crossed the limits of responsible play. If you’re late and absent-minded more often than not, there’s a real issue with gambling. Keeping whereabouts in secret means that you feel something is wrong with your ways.
- Taking loans to gamble. You gamble even when you cannot afford it. And then switch to online gambling with PayPal credit or credit card casinos. Or you’ve come to the point when you consider taking loans to cover debts. Don’t neglect this ominous sign as coming back to the right track is getting harder.
- Emotional. The apparent symptoms include exaggerated anxiety and depression. Addicted players get easily upset and often feel sad. Some Kiwi players even have suicidal thoughts. Losing all your money on gambling is disappointing. It can make people feel hopeless and end their life deliberately.
- Physical. When the desperation phase comes in, players no longer control the situation. Negative feelings reflect on physical health, and this is extremely dangerous. Self-inflicting harm is the worst-case scenario. Sleep deprivation is another aspect that must be considered. Weight variations, pale skin, and acnes are specific indicators.
Top Gambling Tips from CasinoDeps NZ Experts
The best way to tackle gambling addiction is to prevent it from the start. Dealing with the consequences is harder than being self-aware beforehand. There is nothing wrong with gambling for a short time. But when gambling occupies your entire time, and you cannot control yourself, it’s time to act. Take our professional tips to stay safe when playing online.
- Choose trusted casino brands. Safe online casinos for Kiwis can spare you from much trouble. They never let you fall into addictive playing. Reputable NZ casinos take care of your time spent on gambling and the size of losses suffered. Your safety should be a top priority of sites where you gamble.
- Don’t chase losses. This is the worst gambling strategy that gets you into the vicious circle of never quitting. Trying to get any money lost will get you deeper into the black hole of debts. Drop the idea that your luck must change soon. Also, don’t play higher stakes once you’ve lost.
- Set and limit your budget. This is genuinely viable with any low deposit casino. A small deposit means it’s easier for you to restrain your spending. Also, quit playing when you reach your limits, even if you are winning. The idea that your luck will serve you longer can indulge you exceed the rigorous limits.
- Avoid gambling under the influence. Avoid playing at New Zealand online casinos under the influence of alcohol or drugs. This will diminish your reasoning, and you might place higher bets than planned. Drugs make you overestimate your abilities. Alcohol makes you aggressive, and you can inflict harm to yourself or others around you.
- Read bonus terms. Kiwi gambling sites offer different bonuses to players. Meaning, you must read the terms of offered bonuses before using them thoroughly. Some bonuses apply to certain games in specific periods only. Others are available after you make a certain deposit.
- Learn the rules before playing for real money. Don’t skip this step in pursuit of excitement. Get familiar with any rules and regulations imposed by the Kiwi online casino. Check the wagering requirements, too. If you take a closer look at game specifics, you’ll avoid losing money out of misunderstandings. Protect yourself by being knowledgeable.
- Test demo games or use free credit deals. Top-notch New Zealand casinos recommend playing demo games to educate players on the process. No deposit casino bonuses are also available to enable gamblers to check the variety and quality of games. Once you familiarize yourself with the rules, it’ll be easier to decide if that’s what you wanted.
How to Prevent Gambling Addiction for Kiwis?
Reputable online casino with NZ dollars offers their clients tools to encourage responsible gambling. Yet, most tools are not automatic, and you’ll have to be reasonable with gambling. Meaning, you have to activate mechanisms to restrain yourself on purpose. Though online casinos can remind you when you’ve crossed some limits, it’s up to you to decide to cool off for a bit.
- Use free/paid gambling blockers. Register to the services of Betblocker and Gamban to have the chance to exclude yourself from gambling for a period of your choice. Such blocking software allows players to change the settings of their browsers. Meaning, once they install the software, it’ll start banning all gambling websites.
- Set Time-Outs. Responsible NZ gambling includes tools such as specifying gamble session lengths. This way, you’ll keep track of the time spent on gambling and won’t lose. Or you can take a break that can last from 24 hours to several months. In this period, gamblers cannot log in to their account.
- Set Deposit Limits. This strategy will help you keep within the projected budget limits. The good thing is that you can set the limits on a daily, weekly, or monthly level. If you know you have limits, it becomes easier to give up at the right time. Most NZ operators grant this possibility.
- Set Loss Limits. Self-limitation methods are one of the most efficient to control your gambling activities. You have options to put a cap on the losses of a specific game or the entire platform. In short, setting a strict budget before commencing will help you gamble in a sensible and restrictive way.
- Unsubscribe from e-mail newsletters. This is an excellent method to prevent possible gambling problems in the future. Newsletters of New Zealand gambling brands offer promotions, bonuses, coupon codes, and many attractive deals. If you ban them, you’ll save yourself from having to resist the immediate temptation to join a game.
- Contact customer support to find the best usage ways. If the problem is serious, you might have to seek professional support. You can also seek upfront advice on the most reasonable ways to gamble. There are various options that NZ players have at disposal. Most of them are free and offer 24/7 support online.
Responsibility of Gambling Companies
Responsible Kiwi iGaming companies never make money on players suffering from gambling addiction. Helping Kiwi players stay in control is what they consider a top priority. The following features must be an essential tool for every online casino operator. They ensure the wellbeing of players and highlight the operator’s dedication too.
- Active license. Always play at licensed casinos since they must obey the laws and rules of governing bodies. Be aware of new online casino sites and check whether they have a valid gambling license. Licenses bind online casinos to protect their customers. They also have to introduce fair play protocols.
- Self-Exclusion. Verified online casinos must provide clients with self-exclusion tools. They must also make sure gamblers know this possibility. This option is mandatory with the opportunity to voluntarily self-exclude. Alternatively, you can delete the account forever. Gambling platforms must deter players when they exceed the loss limits within a specific timeframe.
- Test on Gambling Addiction. Online casinos and support organizations offer fast self-assessment tests. This way, they allow players to check their condition. The assessment will detect if you have gambling issues and underline the seriousness of the problem. This facility will inform you if you have to take restrictive measures, too.
Protection of Children
Today, children have unlimited access to almost anything offered online. With violence, drugs, and bullying on the rise, we tend to oversee gambling. Yet, if more inventive, minors can log in with their parents’ data without being detected. It’s essential to block any gambling site from your children’s devices.
It is an indisputable fact that more young New Zealanders start gambling nowadays. They are more easily affected if a family member is a gambler. This way, the attitude or minors towards gambling is distorted. And kids are more prone to developing harmful addictions.
So, it’s essential to detach and prevent kids from gambling at an earlier age. Even if you are a gambling fan, specific tips can help you keep your kids away from gambling. Never leave your PC unattended when gambling online and make sure you have a password-protected profile. Teach them the risks and perils of gambling.
Children in families with gambling problems are in great danger, too. These kids run the risk of being tormented and neglected. They might suffer abuse or other forms of domestic violence. Even if this is not the case, they may develop depression or substance abuse later in life.
NZ Organizations that Can Help You with Addiction
Getting over a bad gambling habit is not an easy path to take. You need a lot of support and advice along the way to stay true to your intentions. Being addicted to gambling is tough but beatable. Support organizations can help you endure in moments of weakness. Plus, top Kiwi online casinos cooperate with them regularly.
- Gambling Helpline is a widely available support network for New Zealand players. It’s a national free-phone service that operates 24/7. The helpline offers various services and provides essential gambling information. The advice they provide is personalized, and the forum accepts anonymous users.
- Safer Gambling Aotearoa is a program of the NZ Health Promotion Agency. Its purpose is to raise awareness related to the harms of addictive gambling. Targeted strategies include a free gambling test. Can you beat or cheat a pokie machine is one of the techniques to destimulate online gambling.
- The Problem Gambling Foundation offers counsellors trained to help. The organization provides professional advice for both gamblers and people affected by gambling. Support groups further encourage members to resist the urge of one more game. They offer great relief and help players get their lives back to normal.
Organizations that Can Help You with Debt
Has your debt reached a point that you find it impossible to manage? The only thing you need to do is seek help. There are plenty of organizations that offer debt management services. Debt advice platforms may present you with the full range of payment options. Another aspect they assist with is surviving the aggressive money-recuperation tactics of creditors.
- The Insolvency and Trustee Service is part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation, and Employment. They offer various insolvency options depending on the amount you owe. DRO or Debt Repayment Order is the best insolvency option for amounts below $50,000. The service provides supervisors both for individuals and companies.
- Debtfix intends to act as a lifesaver of people drowning in debts. They provide relief, advice on how to manage debts, and plausible solutions. The approach towards each money problem is personalized, and solutions are tailored to suit the needs of troubled clients. The guidance eliminates resorting to bankruptcy.
- CAP Debt Help offers long-term debt counselling in cases of severe debts and money problems. Use their debt management plans and get supported by the CAP team. Plus, they negotiate with creditors on your behalf. After a phone call, a caseworker will offer you a workable repayment plan.
Responsible Gambling: Your Questions Answered
🤔 What is gambling addiction?
Gambling addiction is a human vice that can lead to financial collapse. Compulsive gambling is a condition that urges players to continue betting. Regardless of the consequences or the impact of enormous losses, addicts never stop. Compulsive gamblers cannot control their desire to gamble, so it’s crucial to stop at the early warning signs.
😷 Is gambling addiction a disease?
Gambling addiction is considered a mental health disorder. It’s an impulse control disorder, and it requires immediate help and constant treatment. Many gamblers suffer reoccurring conditions. And the addiction is progressive with many psychological, physical, and social repercussions. Worse, it frequently co-occurs with other substance abuse problems. Since its harmful consequences are enormous, many countries classify gambling addiction as a public health concern.
🛑 Why can't I stop gambling?
Gamblers tend to disregard the addiction aspect of their hobby. But, once you realize you’ve come too far with gambling, it’s time to reach a decision. Staying true to your choices is another issue. First, talk to close friends or family. Practice visualization of what would happen if you lose again. Take a day-by-day approach. If everything fails, seek treatment.
🧪 How to test if I'm gambling-addicted?
The good thing is that you can find many gambling addiction tests online. Those are free, instant, and anonymous for anyone to take. Tests will tell you whether you have a gambling issue or you’re playing reasonably. Such online assessments can also point out the stadium at which your addiction stands. This is the first step towards admitting to yourself that you’ve gone too far. Treatment centres use similar tests.
🧠 I probably have a gambling problem. What should I do?
Seek help right away. Consult any of the support platforms outlined here. Be persistent in your intentions to quit or restrict your gambling activities. Make a plan and stick to it regardless of moments of weakness. We suggest you sign up for a self-exclusion scheme. It will ban you from accessing online casinos for a specified period.